D2: Dallas Central Business District (CBD) Second Light Rail Alignment
RECENT ACTIONSDART and the City Council adopted a Locally Preferred Alternative (LPA) in September 2015, which included a mostly at-grade route. As project planning progressed, there were increasing concerns from downtown stakeholders regarding potential impacts of the LPA route. DART is now initiating efforts to refine D2 as a subway based on the following actions:
- Dallas City Council approved a resolution on October 11, 2016 recommending that DART develop a subway option for D2.
- DART Board of Directors approved its FY17 Twenty-Year Financial Plan on October 25, 2016 with an increased budget to accommodate a subway for D2, including authorization to seek a larger grant amount from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA).
LPA REFINEMENT PHASE FOR D2 SUBWAYDART is initiating a process called LPA Refinement. This phase will take approximately 6-9 months and includes stakeholder and public involvement to help define and evaluate D2 subway options to recommend a refined LPA by June 2017. This timeframe is critical to make the annual submittal to FTA for the project, which is due in September 2017.
Participation from stakeholders, technical agency staff, Downtown Dallas, Inc. (DDI) and policy level decision-makers is necessary to build consensus around a refined LPA. Input and feedback from the range of stakeholders will be shared with decision-making bodies throughout the process. Stakeholder meetings are being initiated in December to start developing potential subway options.
PROJECT DEVELOPMENT PROCESSDART is in the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Project Development phase. Several stakeholder meetings and opportunities for public comment will be provided. Once a refined LPA is approved, Project Development efforts will focus on developing more detailed Preliminary Engineering (PE) to support an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).
After the refined LPA is approved, it is anticipated that remaining Project Development efforts will take approximately 18-months. This will include preparation of a Supplemental Draft EIS (SDEIS) to assess the benefits, impacts and costs of the project. This SDEIS will build upon and update the 2010 DEIS and will be made available to the public for review and comment, during which time DART will hold public meetings and a formal public hearing on the project. Based on the SDEIS and public input a Final EIS will be prepared. The Final EIS will outline mitigation commitments to address identified impacts; this is followed by a Record of Decision (ROD) from FTA, which closes the environmental process. A mitigation monitoring program is part of the FEIS and ROD and will be put in place as the project proceeds into Engineering and Construction.
DART received authorization from FTA to enter Project Development on November 5, 2015. The FTA process is shown below:
GET INVOLVED!DART encourages you to attend the meetings and/or provide your comments via the project email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Several more opportunities for public participation will occur throughout Project Development.
- New: D2 Newsletter #3 (November 2016)
- D2 Newsletter #2 (June 2016)
- D2 Project Development Phase Booklet (Newsletter #1) (December 2015)
PROJECT DEVELOPMENT MEETINGSSeveral meetings have been held during the Project Development Phase of the D2 Project. Below is a list of the meetings, where each meeting notation contains a link to a PDF file that contains meeting-specific information. The information varies by type of meeting: meeting notification, meeting minutes, agenda, slideshow presentation, display boards and handouts, sign-in sheets, list of invitees, meeting invitation/notice, and comments received.
- Display Boards for June 15, 2016 Meetings
- CBD West Segment Display Board for June 15, 2016 Meetings (77MB PDF)
- CBD Central Segment Display Board for June 15, 2016 Meetings (55MB PDF)
- CBD East Segment Display Board for June 15, 2016 Meetings (96MB PDF)
- Public Meeting Presentation (Thursday, December 17, 2015, 12:00 p.m., DART Offices and 6:30 p.m., First Presbyterian Church Dallas)
- Display Boards for December 17, 2015 Meetings
Stakeholder Work Group Meetings
- New: Stakeholder Work Group Meeting Presentation (Wednesday, December 7, 2016, Sheraton Dallas Hotel)
(Note: To view a video demonstrating a Tunnel Boring Machine, click on the image on page 16.)
- Stakeholder Work Group Meeting Presentation (Wednesday, August 3, 2016, DART Offices)
- Stakeholder Work Group Meeting Presentation (Wednesday, June 1, 2016, DART Offices)
- Stakeholder Work Group Meeting Presentation (Wednesday, April 6, 2016, DART Offices)
- Stakeholder Work Group Meeting Presentation (Wednesday, March 9, 2016, DART Offices)
- Stakeholder Work Group Meeting Presentation (Wednesday, December 16, 2015, DART Offices)
DART Board Planning Committee Meetings
- DART Board Planning Committee Presentation (Tuesday, May 24, 2016, DART Offices)
- DART Board Planning Committee Presentation (Tuesday, April 26, 2016, DART Offices)
- DART Board Planning Committee Presentation (Tuesday, March 22, 2016, DART Offices)
- DART Board Planning Committee Presentation (Tuesday, January 26, 2016, DART Offices)
Other D2 Meetings
- Interagency Coordination Meeting Presentation (Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 11:00 a.m., DART Offices)
SEPTEMBER 2015 LOCALLY PREFERRED ALTERNATIVE
DART Board of Directors|
D2 Locally Preferred Alternative Map
- DART will continue to examine LPA routing options and station locations as required by the federal funding process.
- DART will continue to review feasibility for an extension of D2 (referred to as Phase 1 on the map – a tunnel spur to the south), as well as other options, to provide access to the Dallas Convention Center and High Speed Rail.
- DART staff will advance these elements into Project Development including Preliminary Engineering (PE) and Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) documentation, pending approval from the Federal Transit Administration.
PROGRAM OF INTERRELATED PROJECTSD2 is being implemented as part of a Program of Interrelated Projects. The Program of Interrelated Projects is being advanced under the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Capital Investment Grant program and consists of these three elements:
- D2 Dallas CBD Second Light Rail Alignment Project
- Red and Blue Line Platform Extensions - modifications at 28 stations on the Red and Blue Lines to accommodate longer trains
- Central Dallas Streetcar Link to connect the Union Station to Oak Cliff Dallas Streetcar to the McKinney Avenue Trolley
Project History and BackgroundDART launched the D2 Study in 2007 to identify and evaluate a range of transit improvements in the Central Business District (CBD). The D2 Study focused on identifying the second phase of major transit improvements in Downtown Dallas. The improvements will ensure high quality transit service as the DART system expands to meet growing needs. In addition, it is about improving mobility and circulation to, through and within the CBD, serving local and regional mobility needs, and enhancing the ability for the DART system to grow and thrive.
The D2 Study was done in two phases. Key information from each phase is provided below:
PHASE ONE - AA/DEISPhase One of the study concluded with the Alternatives Analysis/Draft Environmental Impact Statement (AA/DEIS) in May 2010. The AA/DEIS include the evaluation of the B4 Lamar-Young Alternative, which will be the starting point for the SDEIS effort.
PHASE TWO – AA/SELECTION OF LOCALLY PREFERRED ALTERNATIVEPhase Two of the study concluded in September 2015 and built on the original effort in response to comments on the AA/DEIS and because of changed conditions in downtown. These changed conditions included the new Dallas Streetcar (Oak Cliff line) and planned extensions, the Downtown Dallas 360 Plan, and proposed High Speed Rail (HSR) from Houston to downtown Dallas. These comments and issues led to new D2 Alternatives as well as refinements to those considered in the AA/DEIS.
In February 2013, DART held public meetings to present the alternatives and refinements.
- View the February 13, 2013 Meeting Presentation (3.9MB PDF file opens in a new window)
- View the June 2015 D2 Study and Program of Interrelated Projects Update meeting presentation (3.5MB PDF file opens in a new window)