The 2040 Transit System Plan is being developed using a phased approach. Phase One focused on the bus network through a Comprehensive Operations Analysis (COA) effort in order to identify efficiencies and improvements to benefit our customers and build ridership. Phase Two will develop the 2040 Transit System Plan, which will evaluate longer-term projects and programs, integrate the COA bus recommendations, and identify regional expansion opportunities.
DART 2040 Transit System Plan Newsletter
- March 2016 (PDF file opens in a new window)
DART 2040 Transit System Plan Public Meeting Presentation
- March 2016 Public Meetings Presentation (11MB PDF file opens in a new window)
Phase One – Comprehensive Operations Analysis (COA) and Bus Service PlanThe COA included a detailed analysis of each DART bus route as well as shuttles, on-call service, and flex routes. Coupled with a market and travel pattern analysis and a comprehensive public outreach program, the effort identified opportunities to increase efficiencies, thus identifying potential cost savings that could allow for operating improvements that can benefit our customers and build ridership. Any opportunities to identify and implement efficiencies in our bus network will serve to complement Phase Two of the Transit System Plan.
While some COA recommendations can be implemented over the next ten years through DART's service change process, many of the COA recommendations will need to be integrated into the overall 2040 Transit System Plan as funding becomes available. The recommendations from the COA effort will be documented in the Moving You Forward 10 Year Service Plan. This plan will guide potential service change opportunities through the year 2025 and beyond. Any future service changes would be subject to the DART public hearing process and would require approval by the DART Board of Directors.
Meetings were held in January and February 2015 for the COA. Draft recommendations for the 10-Year Bus Service Plan resulting from the Phase One COA effort will be presented at a series of meetings in March 2016 when Phase Two is kicked off.
Public Meetings Presentation
- January 28, 29 and February 2, 2015 (7MB PDF file opens in a new window)
PHASE TWO – Development of the 2040 Transit PlanOn October 24, 2006, the DART Board of Directors unanimously approved the 2030 Transit System Plan. When the plan was adopted, it was envisioned that the recommended projects would be implemented by year 2030. Due to the economic downturn in 2008-2009, the majority of projects have been deferred to post-2030 due to funding constraints. These deferred projects as well as potential new ideas for projects, programs and services will be evaluated in the 2040 Transit System Plan. DART plans to use the most up to date information on land use, demographic growth, and travel patterns in our region to support the effort.
While the 2040 plan is underway, DART is continuing work on several projects identified in the last Transit System Plan, including:
- Construction on the South Oak Cliff Blue Line extension from Ledbetter Station to UNT-Dallas is nearing completion to support an opening date later in 2016.
- Project Development is underway to the Dallas CBD Second Light Rail Alignment (D2), which entails development of Preliminary Engineering plans and Environmental Impact Statement (PE/EIS). This project is anticipated to be open in 2021.
- Platform Modifications are under design for 28 stations on the Red and Blue Lines to enable these stations to accommodate 3-car trains like the rest of the system, thereby increasing the overall capacity of DART Rail. These improvements will be phased in by 2020.
- While the Cotton Belt regional rail project was identified in the 2030 Transit System Plan, its anticipated service date is currently 2035. Discussions continue with regional leaders on how to accelerate or phase service in the Cotton Belt Corridor, which would provide an east-west linkage between Richardson/Plano towards DFW Airport.
View the Final DART 2030 Transit System Plan (8.5MB PDF file)
View the 2030 Transit System Plan Map
How to Get Involved and Stay InformedAs we explore potential opportunities to improve our transit system, we have several methods for you to provide input and stay informed about the process. We encourage you to sign up for alerts and get involved in whichever method best fits your schedule. Thank you for your participation!
- Sign up for email/text alerts when new information is posted or meetings are scheduled
- Email 2040Plan@DART.org to provide comments and ideas
- Visit www.DART.org/Talk2040 to provide your ideas and hear what others are saying
- Attend public meetings in your area
- Request a briefing to your group or organization
Rosa Cavazos Rosteet
Community Engagement Representative
Transit System Plan Project Manager
DART Contact Information
|Mailing Address:||Dallas Area Rapid Transit
P.O. Box 660163
Dallas, Texas 75266-7232