Media Relations Contact:
Mark A. Ball
September 27, 2010
Changes take effect October 1, 2010
New TRE fares start Oct. 1; weekday service changes, Oct. 4
New fares for the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) will take effect on Friday, Oct. 1 as the second phase of a two-part increase approved by the boards of directors of DART and The T, joint owners and operators of the TRE.
The increases were approved in 2009 to cover TRE's increasing operating and capital costs, and declining sales tax revenues of the two agencies. Fares for DART's local bus routes, DART Rail and The T's bus services are not changing Oct. 1.
The TRE also will implement weekday service changes beginning Monday, Oct. 4 to use train capacity more efficiently and to improve connections to DART's Green Line and to The T's buses. TRE Saturday service changes will not take effect until Oct. 23 due to special Saturday and Sunday TRE schedules during the State Fair of Texas.
TRE fare changes
Other Fare Categories
- The TRE Single Ride fare for One Zone will increase from $2.50 to $3.50. This fare includes 90 minutes of travel on TRE in the Dallas County zone and a transfer to DART Rail, or one ride on TRE within Tarrant County with transfers to The T's bus services. The One-Zone for DART riders is from Dallas Union Station to West Irving Station and for T riders it covers from T&P Station to CentrePort/DFW Airport Station.
- Single-Ride Regional, or a Two-Zone fare, will increase from $3.75 to $5. It covers a single ride on TRE across the full corridor and transfers to The T's buses and DART Rail.
- The TRE One-Zone Day Pass for unlimited TRE service within one zone will increase from $5 to $7 and includes unlimited DART rail and bus services or use of The T's bus system in Tarrant County.
- The TRE Regional Day Pass that covers unlimited service for two Zones will increase from $7 to 10 for TRE service across the full corridor from Union Station in Dallas to the T&P Station in Fort Worth, plus all of The T's bus service and DART's bus and rail service.
TRE's fares remain competitive for commuter rail
- TRE One-Zone Weekly Pass for TRE will increase from $25 to $35.
- TRE One-Zone Monthly Pass will go up from $75 to $100.
- TRE One-Zone Annual Pass (12 months for the price of 10) will increase from $750 to $1000.
- TRE Regional Two-Zone Weekly Pass will increase from $37.50 to $50.
- TRE Regional Two-Zone Monthly Pass will increase will be from $105 to $120.
- TRE Two-Zone Annual Pass will increase from $1,050 to $1,200.
- There will be no increases for TRE reduced fares.
TRE's new fares remain equal to or lower than comparable fares for commuter rails in the Western part of the United States where travel distances are longer. Most transit agencies across the country have raised fares in the past two years due to increased costs and declining sales taxes and other revenue. The first of TRE's two-part increase went into effect in October 2009.
For details of all fare and schedule changes visit www.DART.org or www.the-t.com, or wwwtrinityrailwayexpress.org. Or call customer information for DART at 214-749-1111 and The T at 817-215-8600 for more details.
-- 30 --