Bus Safety Tips
When you're walking...
- Always stop, look, and listen for buses before crossing the street - cross only at crosswalks and be sure to look both ways.
- Don't stand on the street or stand in front of a bus - the driver may not see you or be able to stop in time.
When you're waiting for a bus...
- Remember: Buses stop for customers standing at bus stops - you do not need to wave at the bus operator to have them stop.
- As a bus approaches, be sure you are standing away from the street - and never, ever try to board a moving bus.
When you're in a car...
- Be careful when passing a stopped bus - passengers may be exiting and crossing the street.
- Always obey all traffic signs and signals; drive carefully when sharing the road with a bus.
- Remember: buses can't stop as quickly as you can.
If you're a kid...
- Don't ever play, skate or ride your bike too closely to a bus or bus stop.
- Only exit the bus through the front door.
- Never walk in front of or behind a bus.
- Be safe and help others to be safe around DART buses.
- Make sure that everyone in your family knows all these safety rules.
If you have children...
- Talk to them about buses - teach them the importance of riding them safely - "Stop, look and listen" is an important message for them to understand.
- Hold children's hands when crossing the street.
- Take a field trip, go exploring, schedule a time to show your children how to ride a bus.