Belleview & Wall St. - Mapsco 45U
(1112 Belleview St., two blocks east of Lamar St., Dallas 75215)
Located at the corner of Belleview and Wall streets two blocks east of Lamar, Cedars Station is served by the Oak Cliff segment of the DART Rail Red and Blue lines, with connections to bus route 26. Facilities include a "kiss & ride" drop-off and pickup area and a bicycle rack.
DART Rail Schedules:Red Line, Blue Line
Connecting Bus Route:26
Bus Bay Assignments:Bay 1 — Paratransit, Rail Disruption Shuttle Stop
Bay 2 — 26 Southbound
Bay 3 — 26 Northbound
- Passenger Shelters
- Customer Information
- Ticket Vending Machines
- Public Art
- No Public Parking Available
Popular Attractions and Destinations:
- The Beat at South Side
- Brooklyn Jazz Café
- Dallas Heritage Village at Old City Park
- Dallas Police Department Headquarters
- El Centro College - Bill J. Priest Campus
- Fair Park (via bus route 26)
- Gilley's Dallas
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Branch Library (via bus route 26)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center (via bus route 26)
- NYLO Dallas South Side
- Off the Bone Barbeque
- Opening Bell Coffee
- Palladium Ballroom
- Poor David's Pub
- South Side on Lamar
- Texas Caribbean Food at the South Side
- The Cedars Social
The Cedars area is an excellent example of how an urban neighborhood can go through many upturns and downturns in its lifespan. More importantly, it illustrates the power of mass transit to spur positive change.
During the city's early years, this southern Dallas neighborhood was named "Cedars" because of the magnificent forest of conifer trees. It later became one of the first suburbs of Dallas, filled with ornate Victorian homes. However, its status was short-lived, lasting only from about 1880-1890. Rapid industrial growth in downtown Dallas spilled over into Cedars and changed its initial residential character.
As the Cedars Station is the first DART Rail station adjacent to downtown, members of the community, business leaders, and others are hopeful that this new facility will further enhance neighborhood revitalization.
by Tom Stancliffe
Series of three freestanding forms fabricated in sheet bronze. Ranges from 12' to 13' high and 4' to 5' in diameter at the base.
The abstract sculptures recall the conical form of cedar trees that once reigned in profusion around the community. The cones feature a decorative design, a reference to the ornate sensibility of the Victorian era. The sculptures deliberately use the downtown as a backdrop, symbolically linking the neighborhood to a new partnership with the Central Business District.
The adjacent parking garage serves as a headboard for the station and features a living wall of vines that frame the silver metallic canopies.
Design Team Artist: Francis Bagley
Engineer: Huitt-Zollars, Inc.
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum
Landscape Architect: Linda Tycher & Associates
Commissioned Artist: Tom Stancliffe