DART Construction Alerts
November 30, 2020
December 5th and 6th Orange Line Weekend Closure Canceled
Construction of the new Hidden Ridge Station in Irving will not require an additional weekend of bus substitution on the Orange Line between Irving Convention Center and North Lake College stations on Saturday and Sunday, December 5 and 6.
Downtown Garland Dropoff Location Moved to South Lot, Effective Tuesday, November 17, 2020
Due to continued construction at Downtown Garland Station, the pickup/dropoff location for rail passengers has been temporarily relocated from the north (Walnut Street) side to the south parking area.
Customers will be able to access the rail platform via the sidewalk on Fifth Street. The work is expected to conclude by November 30.
Please exercise caution in and around construction areas.
Hidden Ridge Station Construction to Begin in Late April or Early May
Irving residents and Orange Line passengers can expect construction activity between North Lake College and Irving Convention Center stations in late April or early May, as DART's 65th light rail station begins to take shape.
Contractor Archer Western will conduct preliminary excavation work for Hidden Ridge Station on Meadow Creek Drive near Green Park Drive. Trucks, graders, concrete equipment and excavation equipment will be moving in and out of the area during this phase of construction.
Weather permitting, work will be performed weekdays between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., with occasional weekend activity if needed. All personnel will adhere to strict CDC guidelines to maximize safety during the current COVID-19 emergency.
Possible lane closures and minor interruptions of Orange Line operation are anticipated.
Upon projected completion in early 2021, the facility will accommodate 136 parking spaces and six bus bays.
Silver Line Construction Activity to BeginArcher Western Herzog (AWH), the design-build contractor for the DART Silver Line Regional Rail Project, will resume field construction activities throughout the Silver Line corridor in June 2020, with overall completion scheduled for 2023. As specific activities are scheduled along the corridor, additional notifications will be issued to the communities affected.
Construction activity will be conducted within the DART right-of-way. There will be no access to private property, unless coordinated with the property owner(s) in advance. Construction activities will include the following:
- Daily, temporary and long-term lane closures
- Set-up for maintenance of traffic control devices
- Construction surveys
- Investigation of existing utilities
- Placement of steel and High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) casing by open cut and horizontal directional drilling
- Removal of soil or rock (excavation) for construction of manholes
- Placement and compaction of layers of earth or rock to form a roadbed (embankment)
- Installation of conduits and cables within the casing between manholes
- Splicing, testing and cutover of cables
- Track removal
- Clearing sites of all vegetation prior to site work and building construction
Any time you undertake a construction project, the possibility for danger is elevated. DART is urging everyone to be extra careful around its facilities, vehicles and especially the construction areas. Here are 10 tips you should know.
- Stop, look and listen for DART vehicles.
- Cross the street or track at designated crosswalks only.
- Never walk, ride or play in front of or behind a DART vehicle.
- Children should always exit the bus through the front door.
- Do not walk, ride or play in a construction area.
- Never walk, ride or play on or near railroad tracks.
- Always stand behind the textured warning strips on rail platforms.
- Be careful when driving or turning across train tracks.
- Never try to beat a train through a crossing.
- Remember: Safety begins with you. Talk to your family.