Media Relations Contact:
September 18, 2007
Look for new timetables, fare information
DART fare increase, service change effective October 1
DART's first fare increase since 2003 takes effect October 1 along with a number of bus service changes that will improve connections and provide some added service. There will also be important schedule changes for DART Rail and Trinity Railway Express customers.
Details of all the service and fare system changes are available in the service and fare change brochure that can be found at all DART transit centers and facilities and onboard DART buses and trains. It is also available online at www.DART.org or by calling DART Customer Service at 214-979-1111.
Transit remains a good value
The fare changes are expected to generate nearly $7 million in additional annual revenue, which will be used to support the agency's growing bus and rail network.
Monthly and Weekly Pass price changes
- The base local fare -- which includes all local bus and DART Rail service, and Trinity Railway Express (TRE) service in Dallas and Irving -- will rise to $1.50 from the current $1.25.
- The premium fare -- which includes all bus, DART Rail and TRE service -- increases to $2.50 from $2.25.
- Paratransit service for customers with mobility problems will increase to $2.75 from $2.50. Certified Paratransit customers will continue riding buses and trains for free with a valid Paratransit photo ID. The reduced fare for senior citizens, students, and disabled persons with valid photo IDs or Medicare card will increase to 75 cents from 50 cents.
- Local Day Passes will increase to $3 from $2.50 and Premium Day Passes will increase to $5 from $4.50. The Reduced Day Pass will increase to $1.50 from $1.
One of the best transportation values anywhere is the monthly pass, which gives customers unlimited access to DART's bus and rail network. A new fare feature debuting October 1 is the 7-Day Pass, where customers can purchase seven days worth of service. The 7-Day Pass is currently only available at the DART Store, located at Akard Station.
Employer pass program changes
- Local Monthly Pass will increase to $50 from $40
- Premium increases to $80 from $70
- Reduced Monthly Pass increases to $25 from $15
- Local 7-Day Pass is $15
- Premium 7-Day Pass is $25.
DART's employer pass programs will see price increases tied to the consumer price index (CPI). This change helps DART and its corporate customers budget for annual increases. Changes in the employer pass plan are scheduled to go into effect January 2008.
Bus changes add service and reduce trip duplication
Most bus service modifications will occur in Northeast Dallas, as a result of last year's service review. The review identified areas where service was duplicated and others where more service was needed. Information on the specific routes affected is available in the service and fare change brochure. Additionally, with the route and schedule modifications, bus bay assignments will change at several transit centers and rail stations.
DART Rail Red & Blue Line changes
Some rail departure and arrival times will see minor adjustments October 1. Most of the changes affect weekday departures, and vary from one to five minutes. In addition, changes in bus schedules can affect connecting trips on the DART Rail Red and Blue lines for passengers who transfer. New DART Rail timetables are also available at DART facilities and onboard DART trains.
TRE adds early, late service between Fort Worth and Dallas
In response to customer requests, the following TRE schedule changes will take effect October 1.
Those adjustments will result in some minor timetable changes. Customers should pick up new timetables onboard TRE trains or review them online at www.trinityrailwayexpress.org.
- The first weekday morning eastbound train to Dallas will depart Fort Worth T & P Station at 4:55 a.m. instead of from CentrePort/DFW Airport Station at 5:29 a.m.
- The last weekday evening train departing Fort Worth will be extended into Dallas. That train will leave T & P Station at 10:32 p.m.
- The last Saturday evening train from Fort Worth will depart T & P Station at 10:30 rather than 9:55 p.m.
- All Saturday TRE trains will stop at Victory Station beginning October 6.
-- 30 --